Montag, 3. Februar 2014

REVIEW: The CRY - Dangerous Game LP


THE CRY! – Dangerous Game LP
LP | Taken By Surprise | 10 Songs

I was introduced to THE CRY! in early 2012 when I stumbled across the then-digital only release of their "s/t" debut album. Delivering twelve power pop tracks in the EXPLODING HEARTS vein I was completely blown away by their songwriting skills and impeccable delivery. Well, two years have passed and the band have just finished up recording their second album and had the courtesy of sending me a promo, to which I'm much obliged.

Kicking off with the B.T.O.-esque "Discotheque", the band launches into ten tracks of perfectly written power pop gems with a healthy dose of rock'n'roll, garage and glam thrown in for good measure - and there's even some shuffle to boot! Influences intact I still hear a band that's matured and have taken their songwriting skills to a whole new level. Somehow this affair got me thinking of THE CLASH circa "Give 'Em Enough Rope" - not that they sound anything like it, but I can sense a similar development of their sound as touring, writing and gigging made them gel as a band that in a similar manner let their influences shine through without aping anyone.

The end result is a true party album with ten consecutive hits, a great sounding effort delivered with sweat and passion and every time it ends I find myself wanting to hear more - the tell-tale sign of a truly great record. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this made Best of 2014 lists towards the end of the year. A+. Get it => release-date: March 1, 2014. (Magnus Sellergren)